The path of Graphology Analysis
We all knew that one mischievous person who remarkably foresee something by looking at someone’s handwriting then it turns out to be true, mesmerizing everyone. We had such fun at our schools but do you know it could be a legitimate career option deciphering someone’s mind by just looking what he had scribbled. Yes, you heard it right. Welcome to the world of graphology. Read on more to know how you can build your career in Graphology Analysis.
What is graphology?
The word graphology comes from a two Greek words “grapho” which means writing and “logy” meaning to study. The word was coined by a French teacher Jean Hippolyte Michon during the 1870s.
Graphology, also popularly known as Graphanalysis is the analysing a handwriting by taking into account various elements like the strokes, the angles, the spacing etc which enables to understand the psychological state of mind of the writer while he was writing as well as helps evaluate personal characteristics of an individual.
It is a way to determine that there is a link among disposition, conduct, aptitude, temper and how to write. In our day to day life also we can observe that our handwriting change depending on our mood. It will not be incorrect to say that Graphology is a balance of science and art.
What does a graphologist do ?
The act of writing is a combination of three things:
- Physical – which included holding on a pen and the movement of our arms and muscles
- Psychological – our interest, attention, concentration, fondness, decision etc
- Our learnings – how each letter are and how they are to be written.
There are numerous facets of studying handwriting such as the general writing style, the letters and its formation, alignment and spacing between words and lines, size of letters, strokes and patterns, twists, slants and the angles of writing, the loops in alphabets etc.
Graphologist job description
- Collecting handwriting samples
- Observing the strokes of the letters
- May require using magnifying glass, even microscope to analyse the letters depending upon the intensity of the case.
- To observe the amount of pressure given while writing, this helps in understanding the emotional state of the writer.
- Use of theories to analyse and interpreter the writing.
- Keep themselves up to date about new findings in the field.
Thus, a graphologist must be a expert to relate all these and come to a conclusion of a person’s personality. How he/ she can improve or have a positive impact on his/her disposition. They study and interpret weaknesses, likes and dislikes, behaviour, emotions, mindset, strength, fear etc. They can even identify depression and suicidal tendencies if they are consulted at the right time.
Career opportunities of a Graphologist?
Graphology not only examines the behaviour but also focus on the subconscious motive behind an action and hence this tool could be used in any of the platforms where human interaction is the prime focus, such as:
- Forensic analysis
- Crime detection
- Counselling service
- Personality development and profiling
- Career guidance
- Compatibility assessment
Skill sets in Graphology Analysis:
- Interest in human psychology
- An eye for detail: one of the important skill set is to have an eye for details. You cannot effort to miss out on the slightest hints and characteristics of a person’s handwriting.
- Patience: as it is said patience is a virtue and one should practice it specially when your analysis is directly going to influence one’s life.
- Analytical and critical thinking ability: you should be eager to know more about your client. Feel free to ask questions as that will lead you to a fair conclusion.
- Ability of connecting the dots: at the beginning of you will have only bits and pieces of information, as and when your work progresses you will have a lot of facts and information which could be overwhelming. However, you should be able to eliminate the doubts and able to connect the dots.
- Good communicator: Without being able to communicate well, your client will not be able to have a clear idea of your part of the story. Hence, communicating well is a must.
- Documentation and report writing skill
- Decision making and problem-solving ability
A quick look into the graphology career salary
The median annual salary for graphologists was $57,850 in 2017 as per United States Bureau for Labor Statistics. Whereas in India, an average a Graphologist working part-time can earn up to Rs. 15,000/- depending on the time and energy they put in this. Whereas some working full time may earn an average salary of Rs. 30,000/- to Rs. 50,000/- per month.
We hope we were able to give you an insight of this interesting career option of being a graphologist. Keep learning and using your skills in graphology analysis. We believe you can make a difference in someone’s life and to the society at large.