Career Coach! What is that?
In this Social media dominated world, 90 out of 100 people are either not sure about their careers or is unaware of the path to follow. And thus the roles of career coaches play the part of guardian angels who guide them to the right career choice where they flourish and shine. So if you always wanted to inspire people and have the credibility to influence them – career coach is your career choice!
There are career counselors and then there are career coaches. The major difference between the two is you don’t need a license to become a Career coach, however most of the career counselors are licensed. Choose onto some relevant certifications, enroll into those courses and take a step ahead.
What are the skills needed to become a Career Coach?
The best thing about a career in career coaching is that there is not just one way to pursue it. You have to follow your heart and passion and there’s almost nothing that will stop you to reach at the top. But if you still ask me what can distinguish you from the crowd to acclaim if you are meant to be a career coach – then here are some points which is most commonly found among the career coaches.
- Strong Desire to help people around the world.
- Extraordinary communication skills.
- Empathy and Patience.
- Willingness to learn and develop.
- Strong convincing skills.
- Adept with modern tech communication channels
How do you start your journey?
1. Try to gain as much Experience: You surely can’t influence your clients if your story is not enough motivating. A background in human resource or anything around people will help you understand more about the human nature and behavior.
2. Understand the specifics of the market: This step is crucial for every career choice, you should be extremely familiar to all the specifics of your job market – right from education and skill set required to the average salary scale.
3. Be a pro in Resume Writing: Career coaches with excellent resume writing skills always have an added demand. And if you want to be one of them, you need to work on your resume writing skills, so that you can offer your clients an added service and tailor your niche. To know more about Do
s and Don'ts Ofof Resume writing, you can read our article “Do you know you might get rejected even before facing the interview?”
4. Listen first, speak later: All the great speakers or influencers are great listeners. Be patient enough to listen to every detail your client has to say to you. Listen and perceive all of their interests, strengths, weaknesses and experiences.
5. Don’t stop Learning: Before you start influencing people, it’s very important for you to be equipt with all the skills that is required to help them. Join professional organizations of your industry and stay up-to-date about all careers that are on high demand, or that of high pay and likewise.
What does A Career Coach Do?
Career Coaches utilize special tools, assessments, evaluate the skill levels of the clients to help them make decision about their career paths, set and achieve goals or find jobs. You will deal with a wide number or clients, with varied mind-sets, strengths, interests or weaknesses – you must be patient enough to communicate with each one of them with equal compassion. They can be a fresh college graduate or just an official who is willing to change their career course.
Where does A Career Coach Work?
As a career coach you will have an array of choices to pick where and with whom do you want to work. You could work with job-seekers or career changers of all ages and backgrounds or could specialize in career coaching services for a particular type of people, which may include:
- Career changers
- Culturally diverse populations
- Disadvantaged populations
- Entry-level workers
- Mature workers
- Military (veterans or their family members)
- Senior-level executives
- Unemployed workers
- Women (e.g. moms returning to the workforce, women executives, or women in nontraditional careers)
You can also opt to start your own career coaching business. But be careful because this would need a decent amount of investment. If you have that prepared, then this is the best option. Here you will have the freedom to select your own clients and specification.
Pro Tip: If you are planning for an independent business, develop a website of your own. Also create social media pages on several channels, visibility and recognition is crucial for people to find you.
How much do you expect to earn?
Career Coaches are there to inspire people for a successful tomorrow, and to see people succeed is their primary motive. So, if money is your major motivator, then you are on the wrong page. But, that doesn’t mean Career coaches don’t earn. They earn and earn a lot!
In US, career coach at an executive level can earn $50 or more per hour. Some career coaches also get paid thousands of dollars a day to lead training programs. However the country average of Career coaches is probably close to $58,000 to $79,000 a year. The wide pay range is because of the wide number of specializations this career choice is willing to offer.
And we are finally at the end of this career ‘career’ choice too.. But before I wind-up, to come back again with another unconventional career option, I want to thank all the career-coaches who have helped people to find success and meet their goals.
So until the next time, keep influencing and helping people..
(Article contributed by Surabhi Kedia)